I am Jan Carey your new state public policy chair. AAUW-MN is fine-tuning public policy issues that reflect national priorities. Some issues cross governing lines and ideals. But, in doing so, AAUW members are reminded AAUW is “nonpartisan, but not nonpolitical”. AAUW works across the aisles on legislation that is often politically partisan. However, the anticipated outcome is always consistent with AAUW’s mission, vision and goals.
For additional guidance and information, go to the AAUW website. Read the research publications. Learn more about the numerous issues AAUW has published. AAUW’s nationally-acclaimed research easily guides individuals through AAUW’s priorities and issues, whereby you can communicate the information to individuals and elected officials.
What can you do?
HELP ONE ANOTHER TO MOVE FORWARD AS ONE VOICE
- National priorities inform state and local action. Biennial priorities for national action are chosen according to the criteria of viability, critical need, strong member support, and potential for distinctive AAUW contribution or leadership.
- Use the priorities to be informed so you can inform.
- Solidarity is a most effective tool.
USE AAUW NATIONAL PLATFORMS
- To support a strong system of public education that promotes gender fairness, equity, and diversity.
- To achieve economic self-sufficiency for all women.
- To guarantee equality, individual rights, and social justice for a diverse society.
SHARE AND COMMUNICATE TO ALL MINNESOTANS
- Initiate vigorous public policy programs at the branch level.
- Invite elected officials to branch events.
- Utilize local print media, social media and public access television channels to promote branch initiatives & events.
- Communicate your thoughts and ideas to me at: email@example.com
AAUW MN Public Policy Updates