MEMBERSHIP – We invite you to become a part of AAUW!
With over 1700 members in 24 branches, AAUW of Minnesota is a dynamic organization with a long history of learning and affecting change on issues like education, civil rights, equity in the workplace and on college campuses, reproductive rights and gender discrimination. In Minnesota, members often get involved at the local branch in learning activities or public policy action, gain leadership skills, and attend the AAUW of Minnesota Annual Meeting in the spring.
Click here for a membership brochure.
Our Mission: AAUW advances equity for women and girls through Research, Education, and Advocacy.
Membership is open to people who hold and associate degree (AA, AS) or higher. Students working toward a qualifying degree may become student affiliates. In principle and practice, AAUW values and seeks a diverse membership. There shall be no barriers to full participation in this organization on the basis of gender, race, creed, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or class.
Why should I join AAUW?
- Meet dynamic, like-minded people from all walks of life.
- Keep your mind active; practice your skills.
- Support women and girls.
- Make a difference in your community.
- Make your voice heard on important legislation.
- Receive corporate discounts.
Meet great, committed people, and have fun!
- State and National Member: Includes membership in National AAUW and AAUW Minnesota. This member is not affiliated with any local branch. Dues: $72 for National, $9 for MN. Join online at https://www.aauw.org/membership/ or send a check to the AAUW MN Treasurer, Beth Nienow
- Branch Member: Find your branch. Branch dues will vary. National dues: $72, MN State dues: $9.
- Join online or with your branch membership chair. https://www.aauw.org/membership/
- National Member Only: Includes membership only in National AAUW. Dues are currently $72, with $69 as tax-deductible (the $3 is not deductible because it supports the AAUW Action Fund’s section 501© (4) Lobby corps and get-out-the-vote activities). This member is not affiliated with a local branch or state.
- College/University Members: Institutions can join AAUW for dues of $175. College/University (C/U) representatives are appointed by an AAUW C/U member institution to serve as the liaison between students and AAUW. The representatives are given a one-year national membership for each year that the C/U pays its dues.
- E-Student Affiliate: Students can join as affiliates for free when their college or university is an AAUW member. Students enrolled in colleges or universities that are AAUW College/ University members can become e-affiliate members at no cost. Minnesota State Dues for Student Affiliates is $2.00.
- Student Affiliation: Undergraduate students at institutions that are not AAUW College/University members can join AAUW for $18.81 a year. (1881 is the year AAUW was founded.) Minnesota State Dues for Student Affiliates are $2.00.
- Graduate Students: If you are in grad school, you’re already eligible to join AAUW but you can get a graduate student discount. AAUW offers an introductory rate of $18.81 for your first year (1881 is the year AAUW was founded.). After that it’s $72 a year for AAUW National Membership.
- Life Membership: By making a one-time payment of 20 times the annual national dues amount, a paid life member does not pay the annual National dues. Local branch and state dues still apply.
- Requirements: Membership is open to people who hold an associate degree (AA, AS) or higher and also to students working toward a degree.
Membership Marketing Tips (and there is more where this came from!)
– Creating Welcoming and Inclusive Organizations
– Diversity and Inclusion Tool Kit
– Diversity Officer
– College/University Partnerships
– Video: One AAUW
– The Power of Membership
– Does Everyone In Your Chapter Know Your Elevator Speech?
AAUW Membership Development Programs
- The Shape the Future Membership Campaign is a program used to help branches recruit new members by offering reduced membership rates for new or lapsed members to join on the spot during AAUW-sponsored activities. Branches build their member base and earn free memberships to use any way they wish.
- The Membership Tool Kit is available online in the Member Center. The tool kit puts everything branch membership vice presidents need to know – from a calendar of what to do and when, to creating a branch environment to growth, to recruitment and retention strategies – in one place and at their fingertips.